What is ERP ?
ERP means enterprise resources planning . It is the latest technique of planning and managing all functions of a business such as production planning, production process, marketing , accounting ,supply chain management and so on.
Why ERP in textile dyeing ?
Since textile dyeing and finishing is a major value addition process to the textiles, therefore managing and utilizing all resources becomes important. A suitable ERP software , therefore is a must in a dye house because of its very large numbers of variables and complex nature of operations. The global competition in the textile and garment sector is squeezing the profit margins to large extents, and increasing cost of inputs such as manpower, dyes , chemicals, fuel ,energy , power and environmental concerns forcing the dyeing industry to manage and utilize the resources in a balanced manner ,to produce accurate shade at an economical cost , better quality at right time .
To be successful in an ever-growing competition of quality and service at lowest price in the textile dyeing , we need an efficient planning system to utilize all resources to maximum extent , to cut the service time , to reduce cost and to minimize wastages .
An efficient and suitable ERP software is a very strong tool to integrate all operations from receiving an order from an overseas buyer , up to delivery of goods. All operations such as order receipt , work order making, material procurement & allotment , capacity planning, production planning, machine balancing, quality inspection & management, control of inventory & its management, packing , sampling and dispatch to be integrated.
Benefits of ERP in Dyeing?
Few of the benefits of a successful ERP are ,
a. production planning enhances the capacity utilization.
b. process control helps to reduce the waste and increase accuracy , reduce shade corrections and re dyeing, the system helps to find out the real weakness and causes of failure and promotes new process development.
c. inventory management results into less carrying cost and minimizing the losses due to stock outs.
d. information collection and response to the customers is faster and accurate.
e. Reduce the manpower dependency , by reducing the manual work and reports preparation, reduces multiple recording and repetition of work such as data entry.
f. Increases the man power efficiency because all reports regarding material movement and order execution can be accessed at any time and place.
g. Reduces the stress and strain of work on employer and employee.
h. The defect detection , causes analysis and preventive measures ensures fault free working in future orders.
In nutshell a good ERP system results into customer satisfaction , better product quality at reduced cost and at right time.
What is required for successful ERP system?
1. Proper selection of modules, because wrong selection of modules causes failures of ERP. Modules should comply with the needs of organization and comply with its objectives.
2. Integration of modules:- Different modules must be integrated well to generate consolidated as well as individual reports. Reporting system should be according to the organization requirements and as per the hierarchy of the organization.
3. Transfer of technology and training:- the technology transfer from the vendor to the user must be complete , with proper training to the users.
4. Data entry and report retrieval must simple and easy , data entry and report generation modules must be grouped separately , and integrated with the internet.
5. programming language must be user friendly for further development, modification and integration with other software. It must be user friendly for the future upgradation.
6. The system should be secure enough for use on internet as well as for multilevel users and should be with networking capability and cater to the needs and objectives of the organization.
Read More Articles
Role of ERP in Textile Industry
Use Of ERP in textiles
ERP in textiles
Implementing SAP ERP Sales & Distribution
Why ERP? A Primer on SAP Implementation
Configuring SAP ERP Financials and Controlling
SAP ERP Financials: Configuration and Design